S Simmons, PhD
969 E. 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
This course is oriented around the values of joy, community, and emotional sustainability in practice. This is a seminar style course is designed to be a collaborative...
This course will provide social workers with tools and skills to bridge micro (individual issues) and macro (sociopolitical patterns of inequality) practice. At the core...
This course assists both practice and policy students in developing an increased awareness of self in order to more effectively intervene with regards to practice and...
- Pitcher, E.P. & Simmons, S.L. (under review). Identity and community kinship as strategies to foster queer and trans retention. Journal of College Student Retention (Special Issue).
- Simmons, S. L. (2019).“‘I am because we are’: Holding a mirror as a trans educator.” Outside the Gender Box: Trans and Non-Binary Gender People in Higher Education. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- Jourian, T. J. & Simmons, S. L. (2017). Trans* leadership. New Directions for Student Leadership.
- Simmons, S. L. (2017) A thousand words are worth a picture: a snapshot of trans* postsecondary educators in higher education, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 30:3, 266-284.
- Jourian, T.J., Simmons, S. L., & Devaney, K. (2015). “We are not expected”: Trans* educators (re)claiming space and voice in higher education and student affairs. Transgender Studies Quarterly. AERA Queer Article of the Year 2015.
- Patton, L. D. & Simmons, S. L. (2008). A new spelling of my name: Exploring the complexities of multiple identities among African American lesbians at one HBCU. Negro Educational Review, 59 (3-4), 197-215.
- Drehobl, A. & Simmons, S. L. (April 2016). Building Transgender Cultural Competency into Graduate Social Work Education: Part 2. Invited 80-minute training for SSA Faculty and Staff. Chicago, IL.
- Simmons, S. L. (January 2016). Unpacking Race, Gender, and Sexuality. Invited (2) 60-minute classroom presentations and discussion for New Trier High School Martin Luther King, Jr. Seminar Day. Winnetka, IL.
- Simmons, S. L. (March 2015). Sexual Identity Development in Higher Education. Invited 60 minute classroom presentation and discussion for ELPS 433 – Student Development in Higher Education graduate course at Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- Jourian, T. J. Devany, K., Johnson, A., Nicolazzo, Z., Patton-Davis, L. (Moderator), Pitcher, E.P. schneider, f., Simmons, S. L., & Turner, J. (March 2015). T*Circle 2: Trans* and Gender Non-Conforming Educators on Intersectionality. 150 minute extended session panel fishbowl conversation at ACPA: College Student Educators International Annual Convention, Tampa, FL .
- Simmons, S.L. (March 2015). Trans*Genderqueer: Exclusion, (Hyper)Invisibility, & (Co)Authorship. Invited 60 minute discussion at Loyola Women’s Day Conference: Celebrating Progress and Moving Forward, Chicago, IL.
- Simmons, S. L. (April 2015). Navigating Hypervisible Invisibility as a Black, Trans*Genderqueer Educator. Invited 75 minute storytelling and discussion at Northeastern Illinois University, Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity & Intercultural Affairs, Chicago, ILMain, J. C. & Simmons, S.L. (April 2015). Everyday Queer Activism: Mindfulness & Empowerment. Invited 60 minute co-facilitated dialogue at Qmunity: An LGBTQIA College Summit, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- Simmons, S. L. (April 2014). Rainbow of Opportunity: Supporting LGBTQ Students in Transition. Invited 75 minute presentation for Illinois College Admissions Counseling Conference, Ithasca, IL.
- Jourian, T. J. Devany, K., & Simmons, S. L. (April 2014). A Review of T*Circle: A Dialogue Among Trans* and Gender Non-Conforming Educators. 25 minute presentation for School of Education Research Symposium, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- Jourian, T. J. Devany, K., Faughn, J., Johnson, A., Nicolazzo, Z., Patton-Davis , L. (Moderator), Pitcher, E.P. schneider, f., Simmons, S. L., & Turner, J. (April 2014). T*Circle: A Dialogue Among Trans* and Gender Non-Conforming Educators. 180 minute extended session panel discussion at ACPA: College Student Educators International Annual Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Simmons, S. L. (September 2013). From the Closet to the Living Room: A Discussion on How Coming Out Means Inviting In. 60 minute invited facilitation at the Multicultural Affairs FabuLunch Series, Columbia University, Chicago, IL.
- Jourian, T. J. Devany, K., & Simmons, S. L. (April 2013). Gender Non-Conforming and Non-Binary Students: Research and Practice. 30 minute presentation at School of Education Research Symposium, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- Main, J. C. & Simmons, S. L. (April 2013). Bathrooms, Bedrooms, and Balls: Sex Segregation in Higher Education. 60 minute presentation for Women’s Leadership Archive Lecture Series, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- Main, J. C. & Simmons, S. L. (April 2013). Control and Alternate: 101 Computer Tips and Shortcuts. 60 minute hands-on demonstration for the Division of Student Development Lunch and Learn Series, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- Devaney, K. & Simmons, S. L. (March 2013). Gender Non-Conforming and Non-Binary Students: Research and Practice. 60 minute presentation at the American College Personnel Association (ACPA) College Student Educators International Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Jourian, T. J. Devany, K., & Simmons, S. L. (February 2013). DeConstructing the Gender Mosaic: The GenderQueer and Non-Binary Pieces of the Puzzle. 60 minute presentation at the Midwestern Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, Ally College Conference, Michigan State University, Lansing, MI.
Black, trans*genderqueer, educator, advocate, spouse, friend, and Beyonce' fan all describe Dr. S Simmons. S is originally from Chicago Heights, IL and is the eldest of three. Dr. S earned their B.S. and M.S. in Psychology from Iowa State University, and PhD in Higher Education from Loyola University Chicago. Over the course of his career, S has held several positions within higher education including Admissions Counselor, Pre-Collegiate Program Coordinator for gifted and talented students and students of color, Educational Program Specialist for the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Program, and assistant director and interim director of a Gender and Sexuality Center. In all of S's roles, he has provided leadership and guidance on diversity, inclusion, and equity efforts within and across departments. Ask anyone who knows S and they will tell you S is passionate, caring, and leads with love.
- Interim Director at the Gender and Sexuality Center (GSC) providing guidance on educational workshops and departmental assessment and evaluation (University of Illinois at Chicago).
- Admissions Counselor & Pre-Collegiate Program Coordinator for gifted and talented students and students of color (Iowa State University).
- Educational Program Specialist for the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Program (Georgia State University).
Fields of Special Interest
- Gender identities and experiences
- LGBT+ Sexuality
- Race and racism
- Higher Education/Student Development
- Identity Development
- Inclusion and Equity
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Pedagogy and Curriculum Development
- Mentoring and Leadership