Group of students smiling in a classroom

For Returning & Transfer Students

There are additional considerations for returning and transfer students.

Returning Master of Arts Program in Social Work, Social Policy, and Social Administration (SW) students will need to submit a new application online.

  • Candidate Statement: Returning students should prepare a candidate statement to the admissions committee updating the previous statement and describing interim social work education, experience, or activities.
  • Letters of Recommendation: You will need to submit two additional letters of recommendation. At least one recommendation should be from a faculty member at Crown Family School.
  • Transcripts:  Transcripts of any subsequent courses taken elsewhere should be ordered and submitted on-line.
  • Fee: You will not be charged another application fee. 
  • Students absent from the program for 5 years or more will be required to repeat all coursework and internships.

Applicants who reapply will need to submit a new application online.

  • Candidate Statement: Applicants who previously applied in the last year are not required to re-submit a candidate statement, but are strongly encouraged to update the previous statement to add any interim social work experience, education or activities. Applicants who applied more than a year ago are required to submit a new statement.
  • Letters of Recommendation: Applicants who previously applied in the last year are not required to submit any new letters of recommendation, but are strongly encouraged to obtain one new letter or update a previously submitted letter.
  • Transcripts: Transcripts from a previous application are kept on file for one year. New transcripts should be submitted if any subsequent courses were taken elsewhere.
  • Fee: The application fee is waived for applicants who previously applied in the last year.

To be considered as a transfer student, an applicant is permitted to transfer one (1) full year of course work from another accredited master's program in social work if the work was done within three (3) years of the application for transfer. Individual courses from other institutions or other parts of the University prior to matriculation at Crown Family School are not accepted for transfer credit toward the master's degree at Crown Family School, and Crown Family School neither awards nor transfers life experience credit. Students are permitted to transfer up to three (3) Crown Family School courses that were taken prior to matriculation (enrollment) in a degree program at Crown Family School.

In addition to the basic admission requirements for all master's degree applicants, transfer students must:

  • Include successful completion of the 1st year core required courses  and 1st year practicum.
  • Include with their application an addendum explaining their reason for transferring to the Crown Family School program from their current social work program.
  • Include two academic references and a reference from a current or recent practice professor or field instructor who can evaluate your performance in field placement or submit a final field evaluation.
  • Submit the application and all of the supplemental materials no later than January 15. Late applications and materials will not be accepted.
  • Students will be required to complete the Clinical Practice or Social Administration concentration requirements while enrolled at Crown Family School.
  • As a transfer student, you may have the opportunity to participate in one of our programs of study. You are encouraged to explore the programs of study prior to admission and be prepared to submit the required materials for the program of study immediately after admission is granted into the degree program.