The Center for Health Administration at the Crown Family School invite you to
Michael M. Davis Lecture Series
“Private Equity and the Corporatization of Health Care”
The presentation will discuss the emerging trend of private equity investment in health care and how it contributes to the financialization of this critical part of the economy and American life. The discussion will outline the harms of private equity in health care and explore potential legal and policy levers to address these problems.
- Understand what private equity is and the trends of private equity investment in the health care system.
- Explore the potential harms of private equity investment to health care costs and consolidation, patient care, and individual health care providers.
- Identify the private equity revenue “playbooks” for each market segment and use these playbooks to identify policy and legal enforcement responses.
Presented by Erin Fuse Brown, JD, MPH, Catherine C. Henson Professor of Law; Director Center for Law, Health & Society, Georgia State University.
Moderated by Joseph D. Bruch, Assistant Professor, Department of Public Health Sciences
Tuesday, October 24, 2023
Edith Abbott Hall, Library
969 East 60th Street, Chicago, IL 60637
The event is free open to the public. Registration required.
Hybrid Presentation: In-person and virtual via Zoom
1.5 CEUs available for $30, select Add-On.
Lunch provided for in-person attendees, registration required.
- Eligibility for CEU’s requires indication at registration, attendance to live event, and completion of the post-event survey.
- Post event, pending attendance verification, a PDF copy of the CEU certificate will be sent to the email provided during registration.
- 1.5-hour CEU’s are available for $30. The Professional Development Program (PDP) is a licensed State of Illinois provider of Continuing Education for social workers (LSW/LCSW), clinical psychologists, marriage and family therapists, and professional counselors (LPC/LCPC). License #s 159.000140, 168.000115, and 268.000004.
About the Presenter
Erin C. Fuse Brown, Catherine C. Henson Professor of Law, has taught Health Law: Financing & Delivery, Administrative Law, Legislation & Regulation, and the Health Care Transactional & Regulatory Practicum. She is the Director of the Center for Law, Health & Society. Professor Fuse Brown’s areas of research and expertise include health law and policy, health care finance, the regulation of health care markets and competition, the Affordable Care Act, single payer and public option health reforms, ERISA preemption of state health laws, consumer financial protections for patients, health care consolidation and prices, and surprise medical bills. Professor Fuse Brown’s work has influenced health policy at the state and national levels. She has presented her work to the Federal Trade Commission and has consulted with the National Academy for State Health Policy, the Milbank Memorial Fund, Catalyst for Payment Reform, and the Georgia Health Policy Center on legal and policy approaches to address health care consolidation, surprise medical bills, ERISA preemption, health care price transparency and data collection, the Affordable Care Act, and prescription drug prices. She has been the keynote speaker at the National Academy for State Health Policy’s annual conference and a plenary speaker at the Academy Health Policy conference. Professor Fuse Brown received a J.D., magna cum laude, from the Georgetown University Law Center and an M.P.H. from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. While in law and public health schools, she was an editor of The Georgetown Law Journal, a Greenwall Student Fellow in Bioethics and Health Policy, and a senior researcher for The Center for Law and the Public’s Health. Professor Fuse Brown holds a B.A., magna cum laude, from Dartmouth College in studio art.
If you have any questions about access or to request a reasonable accommodation that will facilitate your full participation in this event such as ASL interpreting, captioned videos, Braille or electronic text, food options for individuals with dietary restrictions, etc. please contact the event organizer.