Areas of Expertise
Community Organizing and Development
- 47722 Structural Social Work Practice and the Mexican Experience in Chicago
- Program Manager, Saint Anthony Hospital: Community Wellness Program
- Co-Founder, Centro de Trabajadores Unidos: Immigrant Workers Project
- Co-Founder, Roots to Wellness: Mental Health Coalition
Fields of Special Interest
- Community Organizing
- Mental Health Practices with Latino adults
- Immigration Studies
- Program Development
- Latino Studies
- Social Movements
- Carrillo, A. & Cifuentes, M. “Building bridges: Teaching sexuality to Latino immigrants.” Presented at the International Social Work Conference at Augsburg College. Minneapolis, MN, June 14, 2012.
- Carrillo, A. "Continuing a tradition of liberation: The use of the Strengths Perspective and Feminist Theology with Mexican immigrant women in a mental health setting." Presented at the Latino Behavioral Health Conference. Chicago, IL, October 19, 2012.
- Carrillo, A. "Eliminating barriers: Making mental health accessible for low-income Latino adults." Poster presented at 5th Annual Minority Health in the Midwest Conference. Chicago, IL, February 22, 2013.
- Carrillo, A. "Dispelling the myth: Making mental health service delivery accessible for uninsured Latino immigrant adults." Presented at the Latino Behavioral Health Conference. Chicago, IL, October 18, 2013.
- Carrillo, A. “Organizing Latino immigrant workers in low-wage industries: A qualitative study of Chicago’s worker center organizers.” Presented at the Labor Research and Action Network Conference. Washington D.C., June 15, 2015.
- Carrillo, A., Rocha, J., O’Grady, C., & Bocanegra, K. “Structural Social Work: A framework for understanding Latino issues.” Presented at the Latino Social Work Organization Conference. New York City, NY, April 25-27, 2016.
- Carrillo, A “Structural barriers, not stigma, limit access to mental health services for the low-income Latino community.” Presented at the Health Disparities and Social Justice Conference. Chicago, IL, August 12, 2016.